How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33564
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello there, Im renting an apartment in northern Virginia.

This answer was rated:

Hello there,
I'm renting an apartment in northern Virginia. By using a detecting device, I found transmitting resources which are probably eavesdropping bugs in floor and walls, more than 20 items in two bedrooms. My questions are:
A. Is it a felony to eavesdrop people?
B. I have notified landlord and property manager, who had no response. What shall I do next?

Thanks a lot,

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

Virginia's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. Virginia makes it a Class 1 Midemeanor to intercept or record any "wire, oral, or electronic communication" unless one party to the conversation consents. Virginia Code § 19.2-62. Therefore, in Virginia, one may record a conversation or phone call if they are a party to the conversation or they get permission from one party to the conversation in advance.

If there are listening devices then you should call the police and let them handlemthe criminal investigation. Since the presence of embedded listening devices violates the warranty of habitability and makes the premises unhabitable, ifnthe landlord refuses to correct the problem, you can move out and declare a constructive eviction. That would terminate the kease. You would also, likely, be entitled to other damages, such as the return of all the rent you paid prior to moving out.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Loren and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear JudgeLaw, Thank you for the detailed information. Your answer is truly valuable! Your suggested action to take per quoting Virginia law gave me strong legal backup of dealing this issue. I will contact property manager/landlord for that. If they refuse to correct the situation, to be safe, shall we have a security company to double confirm the existence of the listening devices or just call the police right away? Thanks a lot! Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX following up and your kind words.

I would suggest you have a professional sweep for confirmation and then call the police with their report in hand or with their representative in person with you. It will give credibility to your complaint.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you again.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Paul, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (a 10?). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Once receiving the survey, it will be my great pleasure to rate it to 10. Thanks again for your in time legal help!

Good luck Paul, and thank you very much!
Hello Paul,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.
Did I answer your question?
Please let me know if you need further assistance.


Related Legal Questions