How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118651
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was assaulted by guests in the hotel I work. I work in Jamaica

Customer Question

I was assaulted by guests in the hotel I work. I work in Jamaica and he lives in Virginia, how can I go about doing a lawsuit?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In order to sue him, since he is no longer in Jamaica, you would have to file suit against him in the court in VA and in order to do so you would need an attorney there to file suit or you would have to travel to VA and you could represent yourself in small claims court and sue him for up to $5000, but that would require you to travel to VA to sue him.

To find a personal injury attorney in VA you can use the same sites used by other attorneys, or or

Your suit would be brought under Jamaican law in the VA court under their choice of law rules, since the incident did happen in Jamaica.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
A little more clarity on the answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Need some more options on my choices.