How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a boyfriend who i would like to evict i just signed

This answer was rated:

I have a boyfriend who i would like to evict i just signed a new lease without him on it. I am disabled and he drinks constantly and will not pay his portion of the bills. The Landlord is behind me 100% because he has only paid him twice in the 12 months that we have been living here causing me to have to pay extra and we argue constantly which cause my blood sugar levels to be really high due to the stress of this. I don't know where to start or what to do i ask him to leave but he refuses. It has gotten so bad that i had to call my dad to come here as he was threatening to harm me and m dad called the police and told them they need to get here before he did. I am very ill and need to be in an stress free home to try to get my diabetes under control but with the constant fighting it is impossible. I have been in and out of the hospital so much. Can someone ples instruct me on what i can do and how do i do it...Thank you
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Is your b/f on the original lease and did the original lease expire?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes he was on the original lease but it has expired and i have a new lease singed with only me on it as the landlord is standing behind me on this

Dear XXXXXa,

Thank you for your follow up.

Is your b/f making or had made any type of physical threats against you?

Was police ever called or police report made against your b/f by you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes he has made threats and the police had to be called he has told me he wished i would just have a stroke and die it has gotten really bad where i had to call my family here as well as his. The police couldnt make him leave as we were month to month but after talking to my landlord we decided he wanted me to stay and him to leave as he won't pay bills. I get 750.00 a month and my rent is 700 he wont pay his half and he was supposed to be paying for the electric 160.00 to the landlord and he didnt hhe gets 139.00 a month but all the bills are on me so i get help from my family

Dear XXXXXna,

Thank you for your follow up.

Have you considered filing a Petition for Restraining Order based on your b/f physical threats and abuse?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no i didnt because he was on the lease and i was told he has every right to be here because hes been here over 6 months and gets his mail here they said maybe i should leave but the landlord said he would rather me stay and he leave...i'm new to this we have been together 18 years i just want him to go as it is affecting my health in a very bad way i suffer also from depression and sometimes i just wish i was dead its so bad the way he treats me and the things he calls me...i'm hurting and i just want out

Dear XXXXXa,

Thank you for your follow up.

Basically, at this point you would have to follow a legal eviction process in order to evict your b/f from your rental apartment.

Since you boyfriend is not on the lease, at this point he would be considered a month to month tenant.

Is your landlord willing to legally evict your b/f, as it is always easier for the landlord to pursue an eviction in most cases?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he spoke with his lawyer who said he would have to evict both of us which he does not want to do

Dear XXXXXa,

Thank you for your follow up.

Are you able to hire a local landlord-tenant law attorney to initiate a legal eviction of your boyfriend?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i can try i am on disability and dont have much money but i can talk to our legal aid here i think its a free service i will contact them on Monday

Dear XXXXXa,

Thank you for your follow up.

At this point someone in your b/f position would be considered a month to month tenant and since you are the only tenant on the new written lease, the legal eviction process would involve first serving your b/f with a 30 day written notice to vacate or to face a legal eviction.

If your b/f does not move out upon the expiration of the 30 day notice, then you would be able to pursue legal eviction, by filing an eviction complaint in the local court.

Below is the link to official Ohio State Bar website that has details as to how an eviction can be pursued:

It is always a good idea to hire a local private landlord-tenant attorney to help you with this eviction process, but if you cannot afford to hire a private attorney, you can contact your local legal aid office and apply for free legal service.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Alex J. Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions