Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had 2 L.L.CS THAT WERE BOTH FILED AS A LAST TAX RETURN AS

I had 2 L.L.C'S THAT...
I had 2 L.L.C'S THAT WERE BOTH FILED AS A LAST TAX RETURN AS OF 2007 AND 2009 RESPECTIVELY IN CONNECTICUT.I HAD NO IDEA THAT I NEEDED TO GET ARTICLES OF DISSOLUTION FILED WITH SECRETARY OF STATE.THAT IS A NON ISSUE-BUT AM I WHOLLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BUSINESS ENTITY TAX FOR THE SUBSEQUENT YEARS? I HAVE TO PLEAD IGNORANCE ON THIS POINT.ITS ABOUT A 2000.00 FEE!
8/3/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that before articles of dissolution can be filed and a certificate of dissolution will be issued by the secretary of state, all taxes must be paid. Also, on a business, any delinquent taxes not paid by the business are the personal liability of the owner(s) of the business jointly and severally, meaning the state can come after you as owner of the business personally for any taxes due.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

I had already figured that out.the question was:is there altenative to working with state on years owed or payment plan.ill take it from her

Thank you for your spectacular feedback. We can only answer the questions you ask and as you never asked "is there an alternative to working with the state on years owed or a payment plan" YOU DID ASK "am I wholly responsible for the business entity tax for subsequent years," so your feedback is a bit disingenuous.

As far as "is there an alternative to working with the state on the years owed or a payment plan. ill take it from her" I am afraid that makes no sense and we have no idea what you are asking in that sentence. If you care to clarify that I would be more than happy to answer it for you.

thank you for your spectacular feedback?. "Ill take it from here" apologies on the one letter truncated.Condescending even for a lawyer .We fully understand that there are fees to pay.Our question may have been a more focused as to a possible remedy,but the inference was your knowledge base would give an alternative.in terms of a form to filew/ state seeking possible relief .We need to go to the state offices ourselves and request a payment schedule before dissolution.

Thank you for your response.

The issue is you are blaming me for not answering what you did not ask. As I said I am more than willing to answer follow up questions and provide additional information you ask for, but unless you tell me what that is I have no way of knowing to provide you the information and you did not ask for alternatives (of course in dealing with back taxes legally in CT there are no alternatives other than making payment and working with the department of taxation if the taxes they say are owed are accurate).

The only alternative that exists is if the taxes they claim you owe are not accurate and in that case you have the right to file an appeal on the amount due. However, if the taxes are due, before dissolution can be granted you have to have the taxes paid off in full. There is no "form to file" I am afraid, you can appeal the taxes due only if they are inaccurate and in that event it would be a written explanation to the department as to why you believe the taxes are not correct. I am sure you realize, governments do not simply waive taxes due and if taxes are unpaid they pursue them usually to the fullest, which includes seizure or levy of accounts and property.

The most even an attorney can do on a case where taxes are owed is 1) dispute them as inaccurate or 2) negotiate a payment plan or 3) negotiate to remove or reduce any interest or penalties charged for the delinquent taxes.

You did not mention if they added interest and delinquent penalties on the $2000 that is due, but if there is, the department has the power to remove and reduce the interest or penalties and will do so many times if you are able to make a lump sum payment. That is the only other relief available to you in this type of situation I am afraid.

now THAT was the answer we were looking for Paul.We fully understand the state govt view,but our CPA/ATTORNEY did not address that issue on the last date of business.We combined units into one LLC-Separate name. This did not need to get personal,and if tone of 1st response(what we had received from our former accountant) apologies are in order.ty

I apologize if you were offended, but also I believe that you also need to realize that I could not answer questions you never posed to me. I simply had no way of knowing what more you ever wanted because you just did not ask and rated poorly because I did not answer what you did not ask, which was also unfair.

If you have any additional follow up please use reply to expert and I am more than happy to keep trying to give you additional information you are seeking.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney