Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hello! My fiance is Iraqi and he is moving here next week after

21 months of waiting for...
Hello! My fiance is Iraqi and he is moving here next week after 21 months of waiting for his visa. Yippee! My question is: He just transferred almost $30K of his savings to my bank account which we will turn into a joint account when he arrives. This money is his earnings in Iraq and he paid Iraqi income tax on it. Will I be liable to report it to the IRS and pay taxes on it?

Thank you!
8/2/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

No, if he transfers money to the US, he has to report the transfer of assets into the US over $10,000, but if he paid taxes on the money, he does not pay taxes on it again and you are not liable for paying taxes on the money.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

HI, thanks for your answer. That is what I thought, however how can he prove that he paid income taxes already on them in Iraq? Can you support it with old pay stubs? When you say he has to report it, do you mean on our tax return if we filed married filing jointly?

Thank you

Yes, he can support that with pay stubs and records of how he earned the money. When the money is transferred into the US Bank an IRS form is filled out and he would report it on there as taxed earnings as he has to substantiate where the money is coming from. It would not go on your joint tax returns as it is not income in the US or income to you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney