How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My business partner and I own a personal training studio.

Customer Question

My business partner and I own a personal training studio. We are forming a master entity and having each location as a sub-entity under the master entity. Can a medical practice be one of the sub-entities if one partner is a non-medical person? I am a physician and own a medical practice. Can my business partner be part owner of the medical practice? We live and work in PA.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under PA law, it appears the governance of the corporate practice of medicine does not forbid a non-physician from being an owner of a corporation. The Medical Practice Act provides for a private right of action based on the corporate practice of medicine. Likewise, Pennsylvania case law provides no support or guidance in connection with a private right of action for the corporate practice of medicine. See: State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Midtown Med. Ctr., 2005 U.S. Dist. Lexis 4077.

Furthermore, a health care practitioner may practice the healing arts as an employee or independent contractor of a health care facility or health care provider or an affiliate of a health care facility or health care provider established to provide health care. See: 35 P.S. §448.817a.

Thus, in PA you could have a corporation owned by a non-physician and a physician could still practice for that corporation.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.