How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20357
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Having huge problems with past company that I worked for. Smear

This answer was rated:

Having huge problems with past company that I worked for. Smear tackticts that are untrue and incriminating. Someone I did not know informed me that this company had a video of me, from my past, that they were using to literally get me beaten up. It has gotten to the point where I can't even walk down to the corner to buy anything without getting staired at or hasseled by people I don't even know. I bought a hi-top van a few years ago and have been hauling small expedited loads anywhere east of the misissippi and it seems to have started then. Even hauling out of state people are harrasing me. It seems that someone is calling them ahead and smearing my name before I get there. Can you direct me to anyone that can help while I still have some sanity left. I have the rite to make a little money as well as anyone else. RLS

Thank you for the information and your question. If you are saying that your former employer is making false statements of fact about you, and that is damaging your reputation, then that would be defamation of character and you could file suit against them for doing this. You will want to sit down with a local trial/litigation attorney who handles non-physical injury torts, which is what defamation is, and discuss your case in detail so that they can help you determine if you want to file suit, or if you just want them first to send a "Cease and Desist" letter to this employer. That letter would tell them that if they continue spreading lies about you, that you will exercise your legal right to file suit. Sometimes, that alone will work.

If you need assistance in finding a local attorney, you can contact your local lawyer referral service, which would likely be the County Bar Association. You can find the contract number at:

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you