How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116729
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filing a response to my ex-husbands motion. The judge

Customer Question

I am filing a response to my ex-husband's motion. The judge gave me an extension to file my response by tomorrow Aug 2nd, they can file a rebuttal by the 8th, and the hearing is on the 9th. I have the response paper ready and the service process all set. In addition to asking the judge to deny the motion by my ex-husband, I would like the judge to order a different outcome. Is this considered cross-motion and a separate filing? Can I use one supporting affidavit for both? I read a 7-day notice period for cross motions, so is Aug 2nd ok for the hearing on the 9th? Do i need to have "Order to show cause"? And pay a separate filing fee?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In your response, you can ask not only to deny the motion, but to also grant you the outcome you are seeking as long as your response explains and justifies why the outcome you are seeking is the more reasonable or proper outcome. It would be your objection, where you can ask for a different or more appropriate outcome that does not make it a counterclaim. You can do all of this in one motion and attorneys do it that way all of the time as you are not making a different claim than he is, you are asking for a different outcome in your demand for relief.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would you give me a little more specific information?

Can I file my opposition affidavit and call it so? No need to label it as a cross-motion?

I have the response paper where I explain why the motion should be denied and the judge should order a different outcome.


Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response.

Correct, since you are just objecting to his motion and asking for a different outcome, your pleading is "Opposition (or objection) to Motion for X" it is not a "cross" anything, if anything it would be a "counter" because you and your ex are on the opposite side in the case (a "cross" is when you are filing against someone on your same side).

Your affidavit is titled Affidavit in Support of Opposition to Motion for X.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Whew. Thank you!

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. Please do not forget to leave excellent service feedback as that is the only way experts get any credit for the time spent with you.