Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

my wife was driving in aXXXXXand I was readingsome

my wife was driving in aXXXXXand I was readingsome material and it was in about a 30-40 mile mph zone and i was not sure of the are and a dog went walking fast across the street and my wife hit the dog and i was shocked and she was too and thought the dog was probably dead and kept going should we have stopped . we are both scared of dogs and kept going . do we need to report this to the highway patrol i know it is in highway 280 but not the exact location just out of Austin minnesota
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I have provided counsel to a highway patrol for roughly the last 8 years and am consequently pretty familiar with laws and obligations relative to this type of situation. As such, unless you believe that the animal was large enough to be a potential hazard in the road for other travelers, then there is no legal obligation whatsoever to report the incident.

Now, if you like, you can report it free of any consequence. As a matter of course, I would highly doubt they the dispatcher sends a trooper to investigate unless you were stranded as a result of the incident. The department of transportation sends patrols every day to look for road impediments. If the body is still there, they may dispatch someone to pick it up tomorrow.

In short, I would not worry about calling the patrol because there is no legal obligation and because they probably would not respond to the incident anyway unless you are on the roadside and injured or stranded.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Best wishes going forward.