How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEagle1 Your Own Question
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 793
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 25 years.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalEagle1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is a U.S. Navy veteran and has been living with me afterwards

This answer was rated:

My son is a U.S. Navy veteran and has been living with me afterwards since December 2011. He has applied to Central Carolina Community College as a instate student. He has provided NC tax forms as well as jury duty summons. Why does the Dean Of Enrollment and Registrar deny him instate tuition.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with you question today.

Can you please tell me where you son's residence was prior to residing with you? And prior to his military service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He was living in California.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry, I didn't answer correctly. He resided in North Carolina prior to his military service. After his Navy service, he stayed in California until December 2011.

The basic requirements of legal residency for paying instate tuition in North Carolina are:

• establishment of domicile (legal residence) and physical presence in North Carolina for at least 12 months
• residence has been maintained for at least 12 continuous months prior to the start of the term
• intent to make North Carolina a permanent home of indefinite duration
• evidence supporting that one is not in the state solely for the purpose of attending an institution of higher education

Based upon what you have stated it appears your son meets the basic requirements (unless he told the school he moved to NC just to attend school).

You review the statutes that set forth the residency requirements here:

There also is a guide that the State of North Carolina has published that outlines the procedure for determining residency.

You son has the right to appeal the adverse decision by the school. On page 30 of this publication begins the discussion of the appeal process.

The student handbook for Central Carolina Community College also advises students to direct questions regarding residency to the Vice President of Student Affairs or the College Registrar. See pages 132-133 of the student handbook.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1 and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you