How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41560
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is an execution on money judgement in massachusetts?

Customer Question

What is an execution on money judgement in massachusetts?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.


<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

Thanks for your question and good evening.My sympathy here for your situation and dilemma.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

This means that you were sued and a judgement was rendered against you.

They may now execute actions to satisfy judgment, such as garnishment of your paycheck up to 25%, levy of your accounts, or attachment of non-exempt property.

This is a complicated matter, and time is of the essence. I urge you to talk to an attorney right away. If finances are an issue, try pro bono legal services: massachusetts.html

Also see if any law school has seats in a legal clinic: massachusetts.asp

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

You may want to get most all the funds out of your bank account here and go cash only or pay with money orders.If they can locate your bank account they will levy on it and take everything in it.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.

Sorry here is a working link for pro bono services in MA ..the ones above are not working..



Law schools that may have free legal clinics to help you.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.

I am so sorry that you gave me a negative rating.What follow up do you have that I may try and improve my rating.Please follow up here and I will be happy to respond.


Here is more reference to a writ of execution.The creditor has gotten a judgment and is seeking court ordered write of execution to levy on your accounts or garnish your wages.You may want to contact the pro bono legal services above or consider bankruptcy A Chapter 7 filing would allow you to seek to discharge the judgment and stop execution here.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.

Please let me know what additional questions you have about execution here in MA.I would be happy to follow up and help.If something was not clear again please just let me know.


Here is execution of a judgment explained.


More reference.


A money judgment entered in the State of Massachusetts is generally enforceable for a period of twenty (20) years. (c. 260, s. 20.) All property which by common law is liable to be taken on execution, may be taken and sold, except as otherwise expressly provided under the General Laws of Massachusetts. (c. 235, s. 31.) An original execution must be issued within one year after the party is entitled to take it out, and an alias or other successive execution may only be issued within five years from the return day of the preceding one. (c. 235, s. 17.) If a judgment remains unsatisfied after the execution expired, a new execution may be obtained by filing a motion to the court. (c. 235, s. 19.)

Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.

I am so sorry the chat had technical problems tonight.I would be happy to answer any follow up questions.Thanks again.