How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27202
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend and I got charged with the same charge for marijuana

This answer was rated:

My friend and I got charged with the same charge for marijuana I was in the car it was in her possession she said she would write a affidavit saying that it was her so they can take the charge off of me. What would happen after that?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. If you friend were to do that, you can present the affidavit for the prosecutor to review. Moreover, they will likely see and they can be advised, that your friend is also charged with the same crime. If so, it is likely that she will take a plea deal and not go to trial, since she is admitting to the marijuana being hers. If the State will not drop the charge against you, after she takes full responsibility for it and says you did not know and it was in her car, then you could proceed to trial and have her testify on your behalf. If that is done, the State would have a hard time proving the charges against you beyond a reasonable doubt and they would not likely be able to meet their burden, which should result in a finding of not guilty, unless they catch you and her in a lie.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was my car and it got seized for that reason. She went to 72 Hour Court today and told the prosecutor that it was all hers. I will be getting with an attorney tomorrow morning
What did the prosecutor say or do? When do you need to appear?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Talk to my attorney today & she said she talk to the dept that's has my car. She told them I didn't get a a paper stating where my car is or a paper stating that they were seizing the car. she said that the lady said she did not understand either not to mention they never reported it to the sheriffs office. She said that the lady said they were holding it for evidence. my attorney office is closed so that's why I'm getting in touch with someone on here. can you tell me what's going on and explain to me what do I need to do? Thanks

If the car is being held as evidence, you would need to have your attorney ask the Judge to sign an order, releasing it. This motion would be based upon the fact that your friend has admitted to everything and you are an innocent party.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They have no record of my car so how am I suppose to do that
If the vehicle was seized, there has to be a record of it. It is being held some place and the police should be able to tell you where or it needs to be released. Your attorney should contact the arresting agency and speak with a supervisor about the incident to determine where the car is, why it is being held and why there is no record of this.