How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27741
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:


I'm a New York lawyer. Of what were you wrongfully accused? Use the reply tab below to let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

stealing at a major retail store when mdse was actually on the receipt

Hi Curtis,

Sorry to hear about that. We you arrested for this, and, if so, what happened to the case? If it was dismissed, was it dismissed outright or did you accept an ACD? (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was taken to security office and then release because the receipt showed I paid for the item

Hi again,

You're not going to like what I have to say and you can certainly check with a local lawyer, but from what you are saying, you don't have a law suit here. The reason is that although you were probably very embarrassed and this was a terrible experience for you, you have not sustained any monetary damages as a result of what happened.

If you were taken to the precinct and put through the system, for example, and as a result lost a day of work while you were incarcerated, and/or had to pay legal fees only to have the case thrown out, because it was clear you had committed no crime, then you'd have monetary damages. But social embarrassment in and of itself is not enough on which to launch a civil suit unless you could demonstrate that someone saw this and as a result you lost business due to the temporary blot on your reputation.

Don't misunderstand me. I am not saying that the store behaved correctly. I don't know all of the details but they appear to have been negligent in not letting you show the receipt in the first place. But writing to corporate headquarters and getting a formal apology (and maybe a special one-time discount) is about all I see coming your way, unless you left something out of the equation.

When you sue, you are suing for money in compenation for monetary damages.

Zoey, JD and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you