How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55463
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

in 2005 my X-inlaws loned my then wife and I money for the

This answer was rated:

in 2005 my X-inlaws loned my then wife and I money for the kids private school approx $15,000. The loan was never re-paid. My X and I have been divorced close to 2 years. I got and email from the X in-laws wanting full payment from me.. There was no signed contract and the check was made out to my X. 1. can I get sued ? 2. is there a staute of limitations ? 3. My X should be resonsible for at least 50% .. The loan was made in N.C. the X in laws currently live in Florida. There was nothing in our divorce decree about this loan.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. Although you can never prevent someone from filing suit against you, your in-laws have no chance of prevailing in any such suit. First, because there is no written agreement, they are going to have a hard time sustaining the burden of proof that this was a loan rather than a gift. Second, because it was made in NC and there is no written agreement, even if they could prove this was a loan, you have an absolute defense due to the statute of limitations. Under N.C. Gen. Stat. § 1-46 et. seq., the statute of limitations on a verbal agreement is 3 years.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help .. I do have a follow up question... Should I resond to the Email ? Also if my x made a payment towards the loan with out telling me in the last year would that re-start the SOL ? Ans what I dont know ids if anything was put in the memo line of the check such as
"school loan"

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



When should I expect an answer to my follow up question ?


Thanks !

I'm so sorry for the delay...had a short meeting. I appreciate your patience! To discourage them from filing a suit, I would provide them the information I provided above. And, even if they originally put on the check a loan, you would be beyond the statute of limitations. Furthermore, if your ex made a payment after your divorce, it's not likely a court would re-start the statute of limitations against you because it would be considered a conflict of interest given the family relationship.
I want to thank you very much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: