How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28370
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe restitution from a case in 2006 I was on payment plan.

This answer was rated:

I owe restitution from a case in 2006 I was on payment plan. Then paid it off in full. I just found out that I have a civil warrant.,and license is suspended. Is there a statue of limitation?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. You stated above that you were on a payment plan and then paid the restitution off in full, is that correct? If so, why was your license suspended and why is there a civil warrant? If not, how much more is owed and why did you default on the plan?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did pay it off, they have no record of it. 6630.00 is the amount owed.
How did you make the payments and who did you make them to?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not remember it has been six years ago. To the court clerk. Is there a statue to limitation?
Thank you for the additional information. There is no statute of limitations on a restitution order/payment since the money is deemed owed and being applied to make the other party whole. If there was, nobody would ever pay and just hope the debt disappeared over time. The warrant and license suspension is a result of the clerk alleging the payments were never made and/or a violation of the order. Why this is first coming up over six year later is certainly very odd. You should start by going to your bank and asking for a copy of your record, if they have it, which may reveal a check you wrote to pay it or at least monthly withdrawals of the amount which you were required to pay. If not, then you are likely going to have to testify under oath and explain to the Judge what happened, if anything or ask how/why the clerk does not have any record of this. The Judge can certainly lift the warrant and license suspension but the party to whom the money was owed should be subpoenaed to testify in court, in regard to if they ever received the money which you paid. If they did not, I would think that this issue would have been brought before the court sooner. You also want to explain to the Judge that you need your license for work and the hardship that it will cause if it remains suspended, until this is resolved.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much. Do you think I will be arrested?
You are welcome. If you appear in court tomorrow, you should be able to explain to the Judge, exactly what happened and bring to light the situation that the State is now coming back, over six years later and claiming that restitution was never paid, why you say it was paid in full. It would not be reason for the Judge to expect you to keep receipts for 6 + years but when you paid the final amount, you should have obtained something to show a zero balance.
LegalKnowledge and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you