How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an extra marital affair, and now the woman whom I cheated

Customer Question

I had an extra marital affair, and now the woman whom I cheated with is threatening to expose this transgression to my wife unless I give her money. She is also claiming that I abused her physically (an utter lie) and if I go to the police, she will claim this abuse and press charges. I live in Virginia - what are my options?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Oy Vey. I am sorry that you are in this situation. Would she have any proof of any injury to her if she made such a claim?

Would she have any proof an an affair?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She claims she has a picture of a bruise on her arm, but she could have easily given that to herself. In terms of the affair, she has emails and txts between us, but that is it. I do believe she knows where I live though, so she could "show up."

Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Thank you

I suggest that you will need to send her a letter to cease and desist any and all contact and explain that if she continues to contact her, then you will have no other option but to file criminal harassment charges.

In essence your only option is to call her bluff.

Now, if you have a local attorney write the cease and desist letter then it might have more weight because it shows you are serious and this is not a game. And the attorney can explain to her that not only is it criminal harassment but an attempt at blackmail which is a felony.

You may have to bite the bullet with your spouse. But if you give this person any money you will be paying forever.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would you recommend retaining a lawyer? Is there any downside to bringing a lawyer into the picture? How much COULD something like that cost?

Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

I suggest you could consult with a local attorney to retain help on writing the cease and desist. There is a much better impact on a person when the letter comes from an attorney.

I suggest that you may be able to get a local attorney to write such a letter as I described for about $300

But in the long run it will be worth it; otherwise, this woman is going to try to nickel and dime you to death.

As stated, if you pay her once you will pay her forever

I suggest you need to nip her in the bud.