How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27549
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I owe 17.500.00 on a credit card and I have lost my well

This answer was rated:

If I owe 17.500.00 on a credit card and I have lost my well paying job and would like to get out of debt would the credit card company take maybe half that amount to pay it off without hurting my credit
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. Is the amount owed currently past due and in collections or do you anticipate that it will be shortly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no Iam not late are overdue

Robert, thank you for the additional information. If the account is current, there is really no incentive for the credit card company to settle with you for a lump sum payment, for less then what is owed. The reason being, is that they would only be hurting themselves. They are inclined to believe that you will still continue to pay, even if it is the minimum amount each month. However, once the debt goes into default and is not being paid, they may then be more inclined to work with you, since their ability to recover, may worsen over time. It is typically once the debt gets sent to collections, that you can negotiate a lump sum settlement, for less then the amount owed. I highly doubt that they would just take half now, is you explain the hardship you are facing but can certainly inquire and see if they have incentive to settling and closing the account out. I know you want to preserve your credit but if you have the money right now to pay half of what is owed in full, it may be better to just make the minimum payments for the time being, until you can find a new job, that would allow you to pay more off, over time.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions