How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27980
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lent my sister in law $10k with a signed and notarized promissory

This answer was rated:

I lent my sister in law $10k with a signed and notarized promissory note, she paid 6k. How can I collect the balance due? She is a collection agent, and that's where we have a conflict of interest with lawyers in nearby towns. any help would be appreciated.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Has she provided you with any legal basis to justify not paying the 4k balance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, other than saying she'll deposit the money and never does.

Thank you for the additional information. If she has failed to comply with the terms and conditions of the loan agreement, she would be in breach. With that being said, you should try and demand payment, in writing, advising that if she fails to become current on the amount owed, you would be forced to sue her and go after her for fees, costs and interest which is owed, on top of the balance. Since the balance owed is $4,000, this is a matter for small claims court. If you have the agreement in writing, signed and notarized by her, she is going to have to raise some legal defense, to prevent a judgment from being entered against her. If you obtain the judgment and she still does not pay, you could then try and garnish her wages and go after any other assets which she may have, to satisfy it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

LegalKnowledge and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you