How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28035
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Daughter sold car as is to friend. He titled the car and she

This answer was rated:

Daughter sold car as is to friend. He titled the car and she is 1st lien holder. He was hotdoggin and damaged the transmission. He gave her a down payment of $100 and owes $900

He is now returning the undriveable car to her and wonts out of paying the bal. of $900

He is legal titled owner, if he drops it at my home we cant even move it with out braking thr law?

need guidence on how to handle?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. This man would be responsible for paying the balance owed. If he fails to pay, your daughter could sue him for breach of contract. Not only was the car sold "as is" ( i.e. without any warranties) but the damage to the vehicle was a result of his own actions. As such, he can not just drop the car off at your home and expect to not pay the balance owed. Moreover, if he does this, you can likely have the vehicle towed, as it is not authorized to be parked there. The vehicle is titled in his name and he is the owner. He would then be responsible for any storage fees as well. Your daughter should make him aware, in writing, that the balance is still owed on the vehicle and he is responsible for paying. The fact that something happened to the car after it was sold, does not give him a legal write to just return it to your daughter, unless of course there was an agreement/clause in the contract, which would allow it. If he fails to comply, then she needs to sue him for the balance owed and this can likely be done in small claims court, as well.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!