Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have 3 questions. 1. What should I do, my daughters & one

Customer Question
I have 3 questions. 1...
I have 3 questions. 1. What should I do, my daughters & one daughters boyfriend stole a credit card from me & in 2 months time put $17000 on it. They r addicted to opiates. I called the credit card company and contested the charges. 2. What will happen to my daughters if they get charged? 3. I paid for there cars a while ago & I want to know if I should get the titles transferred back into my name? I have excellent credit!
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Legal
7/29/2013
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 4 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. How did you discover they stole the cards? How did this go on for 2 months without you noticing? Also, are the cars paid off and is title for the vehicle in their names?
The credit card they stole, I never used. It had a zero balance. But I never cancelled the card because I didn't want it to hurt my credit rating. I had the credit card connected with bill pay at my bank. So when I went to the bill pay site, it came up that I owed. I then pulled up the statement, called the credit card company to report the fraud, they told me that someone went online & changed all of the contact info...phone & address. The new phone & address were my daughters.

The cars r paid off. I paid for them.
Pam, thank you for the additional information. Based upon the amount of money which was changed on the credit card, the girls would be charged with a felony(s) and going be facing a probationary sentence or even jail/prison, based upon their prior criminal history. When you contest the charges with the credit card company, they are likely going to ask you questions about what happened. You certainly do not want to lie but they may require that you file a police report and report this, if you want the charges taken off, in your dispute. Moreover, the girls would also be required to pay restitution, as part of the sentence, since the credit card company would want to be repaid, if they refund your account, since they would be out the money they paid the merchants. As far as the cars go, if title is in the name of the other party, they would have to agree to transfer it to your name. If you were on the loans and paid them off, that would only end your obligation to pay and liability on the loan. Since their name is on title, they are the owners, so you would need to have a legal basis to get title in your name, if you were doing them a favor and bought the car as a gift. If there was a condition imposed on the car, then you could have a legal basis to take them back, if they failed to comply.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I guess I still don't know what to do... I love my daughters very much, but if I pay off there debt, won't I just b enabling them. I am sure this went to support there drug habit! But, I hate for them to have a felony on there record, because then they will never have a chance. What would u do in this situation?
It is a tough situation. If you know they are addicted to and using drugs, you need to do what you can to stop them usage or else they may kill themselves. Sometimes tough love is needed. If you do not take any action, you would hope that they learn from their mistakes and what could have happened and will turn their lives around. If not, then you turn the case over to the State and allow them to prosecute. Even if charged, this is not a drug related offense, so it is not a situation where they would likely have to take any classes to help them. If placed on probation though, they would have to submit to drug testing, which should help to keep them clean.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney