How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27604
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. Do you know why the next court date was set almost a year out? Is your son represented by an attorney? Did the attorney request a continuance and what is the status of the case?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

but Good day Sir,

I live in Jamaica but my son in the USA . Yes he has representation but he is presently on vacation. My son went to court on 26/7/2013 was informed that he is to return in May of 2014. Is this legal. He. had a scheduling conference on that day.

Thank you for the additional information. The charge of attempted murder is very serious and if he is being held in jail, it is likely a result of no bond being set by the Judge or the thought that he is a flight risk and will leave and go to Jamaica, never to return to answer to his charge, If he is represented by legal counsel, the attorney should be able to motion the court and ask for a bond hearing or some type of pre-trial electronic release, if possible and depending on the facts of the case. In order for the case to go to trial, both the State and Defense need to be ready. The attorney needs to work on the case and review the discovery, along with preparing a defense for your son. Any motions which need to be filed and are relevant, need to be argued before the Judge and can be done between now and the new court date. It is possible that the attorney asked for a continuance, as they were not ready to proceed and the Judge set the case that far out for trial, to allow time to prepare. The attorney can always set a hearing date sooner if something needs to be argued or brought to the attention of the Judge, as well. A fight that leads to an attempted murder charge is very serious, as I stated above, so his ability to be released before trial and not being held, depends on the facts.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is on bond but the bond is $ 2,000,000.00 which would be 200,000.00 and it must be monetary. Can a bail reduction be made? or can it be that all my assets in Jamaica be used. My son is a good boy got his masters at 24years. What does time ruled excludable means

Yes his attorney can file a motion with the court to reduce the bod if it is excessive and ask the court to impose additional conditions upon his release. The judge always has the final decision though

Related Legal Questions