How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55595
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lent a friend approximately $25,000. Hes paid a total of

This answer was rated:

I lent a friend approximately $25,000. He's paid a total of $100 in "efforts" to pay my back since 2009. I'm in Florida. He's in Wisconsin. I need to sue him. Where do I start?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Do you have a promissory note? If so, does it have any provisions regarding jurisdiction and venue? Also, does your friend have any contacts with Florida.... e.g., own property there? does he do business there? Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have a promissory note. I do have emails and text that confirm his agreement to repaying me.


He does business in Miami, FL.


This is from his website:


Zenith Limousine & Jets, LLC is committed to becoming the Nation's premiere full service parking management and transportation company while providing our clients the customer service they have come to expect.

Call Now

Your limousine service is provided by a courteous, professional chauffeur. Our limousines are kept very clean and can be accented with colors that match your occassion. All vehicles are equipped withNeon & Fiber Optic Lights for a dazzling effect, Amazing Sound Systems that can play your CDs or hook up to your iPod/mp3 Player, and a Wet Bar stocked with cups, napkins, and ice upon request. Bring your friends, your beverages, and get ready to have a night to remember.

Our available transportation options for Miami, FL:


Thanks so much for your reply. The additional information is very helpful. Based on the fact that he has "minimal contacts" in Florida, you can file your suit in Florida rather than having to go to Wisconsin. Filing your suit will give you the collection options and leverage you need because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment.

Notwithstanding that you don't have a promissory note, the texts and emails will be sufficient to prove the existence of an agreement. The lack of a written contract can be overcome by the concepts of promissory estoppel, detrimental reliance, and unjust enrichment. This situation arises when Person A relied upon the verbal agreement, Person A performed based on such reliance, and because Person B defaulted, such reliance is now to Person A's detriment. Where there is i) partial performance by Person A based upon the mutual promises, ii) Person A relied upon such promises to perform, iii) Person B's failure to perform would be to Person A's detriment, and iv) result in Person B being unjustly enriched, Person A can overcome the legal requirement that the agreement be in writing. Your situation meets all the foregoing elements.

Because of the amount involved doesn't allow you to file this suit in small claims court, I would suggest you engage a lawyer to help you with this suit. Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: