How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28043
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how Can I drop lawsuit. I have notify my attorney By e-mail

This answer was rated:

how Can I drop lawsuit. I have notify my attorney By e-mail that I no longer wish to continue with my complaint. but he only send me a response.- I got it-. it was contingency arrangement. how do I go about it and know that the case is dropped. Do I have to do this by myself?
I don't think my lawyer is very happy with me.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you want to drop the lawsuit, you have a legal right to do so. Since you are represented by counsel, your attorney will file for a voluntarily dismissal of the case, without prejudice. Once this is filed, the case will be closed. Since it is a contingency case, the lawyer only gets paid when he collects. If you are dismissing the case, he is going to be out any money he anticipated, plus the time he put into your case, which is why he is upset. However, those are the risks he takes, when taking the case on a contingency basis. You can ask him to send you a copy of the motion once it is filed and clocked in with the court and a few days later, you can check online through the clerk of courts website, to see that it is closed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

And just to verify one part of my previous question.. it has been 3 weeks since I notify him. Nothing has been done. I know I can check on the website but if nothing is done, is the way that I have to do it myself or is my lawyer obligated( Have to) to do this.

Your lawyer is obligated to do this and needs to, since he is the attorney of record. If he does not want to, ask him to withdraw and you can do it yourself. If you were to file the motion yourself now, the clerk may not enter it since you are represented, so it could cause delay.
LegalKnowledge and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you