How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a man sometimes a woman calling with accents asking

This answer was rated:

I have a man sometimes a woman calling with accents asking for my Daughter (she does not live here) they call 2-10 times a day from different numbers and I can't get them to stop, something about a payday loan. What can I say legally to him to make him stop?

Thank you for your question.

The first thing you need to do next time they call you is try to get them to stay on the line with you. Ask them to identify themselves. Tell them that pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, they are required to identify themselves and that since you have informed them that the person they are looking for does not live her and that they have the wrong number, they are violating the Act.

If they say "ok" and give you their address, you should then send them a certified letter stating that your daughter does not live there and that you are revoking their right to contact you further under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

If they refuse to provide you with this information, tell them that they are also breaking the criminal law in Missouri by repeatedly making your telephone ring under false assumptions and that this constitutes harassment. Tell them if they do not immediately stop, you will report them to the police and ask for a protective order.

TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions