How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118718
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do about a controlled substance abuse tax that got

This answer was rated:

What can I do about a controlled substance abuse tax that got imposed on me in the state of Connecticut?


Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Im not sure I fully understand your question "What can I do about this..."

Can you be a little more specific?


This is a situation where you were convicted of a crime involving the CDS?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I got arrested for sales of drug got convicted and went to prison . Now the state says I owe taxes on the drugs I got caught with in the amount over 300,000.00 dollars. I want to know what I can do to get rid of this bill and not lose anymore then I have.



Oh My gosh. Im gonna opt out so another professional can try to assist you with this.

In the meantime, you have NOT been charged for this and please DO NOT RESPOND here until a new professional makes contact

Good luck

Thank you for your question. Your previous expert opted out and I am a different expert here to try to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid the answer is not going to be great news. Connecticut has had this controlled substances tax in place since 1991 and it has been upheld as constitutional. This means I am afraid that your only recourse is to dispute the amount of the tax not being proper and seek to get a reduction through an appeal to the CT Department of Revenue Services. The DRS will not put you in jail for non-payment, they will pursue garnishment and liens on property only, but I am afraid that the CT courts stated this tax is legal, so all you can do is try to appeal the amount they are charging you and try to make a deal to lower what is owed and many times they will agree to a deal to take less than the original bill, but it does require negotiation.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So they can garnish my wages? Can they go after my wife for this? I got married this past year and can they go after vehicles?
Thank you for your response.

You need to keep your wife's income and funds separate from your funds and as long as your name is XXXXX XXXXX the accounts with her funds, they will not take those funds. They can garnish your wages, take your income tax refund (so you and your wife need to file taxes as "married filing separate") and they could place a lien on any property in your name including vehicles in your name. At this point you need to keep your name off of as much as possible until you can negotiate a resolution.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a statue of limitations on this at all?
I am afraid that in CT there is no statute of limitations on this tax and they have really been hammering those convicted of distribution of narcotics with this law.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Even though I served time for this they still can go after me for this?
Yes, this is considered an administrative matter for taxes, it is completely separate from your criminal conviction. The legislature enacted this tax to make it a severe penalty to try to deter those dealing in controlled substances, so they never intended this to be pleasant and the courts have upheld it as legal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the vehicle isn't paid off will they attach themselves to it?
Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, if a vehicle has a lien already, they will not place another lien on it unless it is more than 50% paid for. They will not seize it unless it is at least 75% paid for because the loan has to be paid off as it has priority over the state's lien.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well the vehicle is more then 50% paid off what do u suggest I should do?
Thank you for your follow up, sorry for the delay.

You can put the car in your spouse's name or a family member's name, just as long as your name is XXXXX XXXXX anything you are okay.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118718
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you