Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

When you file a complaint with the court and state the things

When you file a complaint with the court and state the things that you are claiming in our suit. The other side then files an answer and ask to dismiss certain things based on laws or previous cases. Do you have the right to then "answer" their answer so to speak and give your reasons why the charges should not be dismissed based on what the other side has said. If so what is that called and how many days do you have to file this with the courts?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Do you have the right to then "answer" their answer so to speak and give your reasons why the charges should not be dismissed based on what the other side has said.

The answer is generally speaking yes.

If so what is that called and how many days do you have to file this with the courts?

The party that files the Motion to Dismiss (or whatever the motion is that is asking to dismiss certain things) is called a MOVANT. The other party is called a NON-MOVANT.

The non-movant may file a Response to Motion to Dismiss.

The deadline for response to a motion is 15 days in a Circuit Court and 13 days in a District Court, with the days counting from the day that the Non-Movant was served with the Motion to Dismiss.

Maryland Rule 2-311 (b); Maryland Rule 3-311 (b).

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)