Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Weird situation here. I work for a community bank, my husband

Customer Question
Weird situation here. I...
Weird situation here. I work for a community bank, my husband works for the local humane society. They are not connected in any way. He just became eligible for health insurance and completed the form for coverage on himself only as I have insurance through my employer. He completed and signed the waiver to cover spouse and dependents. His employer asked him for MY insurance info, group #, policy#, provider etc. He declined to provide it, reminding them he was not covering me. The humane society director asked him where I worked, so he told her and she then told him she would "handle it" and hung up on him. Shortly thereafter I get a call from my Human /resources Director telling me that my husbands boss called THE PRESIDENT of the bank I work for to inform him that my husband would not give her MY insurance info. This put me in an extremely awkward position with my employer as the President & CEO of my bank is being contacted regarding something regarding an issue that has absolutely nothing to do with me or the bank.

Can she legally do that? Contact the CEO of the company that the spouse of one of her employees works for? This has put me in a very rough spot with MY employer. Please help......
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Legal
7/25/2013
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 4 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law
Hello

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Well, the one employer is now required to know with who a spouse and other families are insured with - It is part of the new Obamacare law that everyone must be insured by 2014 and so employers who offer insurance will have to provide this information showing their employees and families are insured and if the employee who is employed is married and the spouse is insured elsewhere the employer must be prepared to present that information

So yes, it is legal. And it is shame the HR person just did not explain that to your husband. Of course, she may not know the reason she is mandated to have it on file.

dont want to ask another question, dont think the answer really applied. The HR director was with my company and had no contact with my husband. My husbands supervisor contacted the President & CEO @ MY place of employment. My HR director let me know in no uncertain terms it was not appreciated. I was never contacted directly for the info, yet i am the one put in a jam in this whole situation.

Hello

I answered your question - You wanted to know if the HR person had a right to call your HR person and the answer is YES and I explained why

But if you need more clarification, please let me know and I will try again to explain it to you

Or if you have another question please ask it

you are just plain rude and my experience with you tonight will likely put me off this sight for quite some time

Hello

I apologize for being rude.

I provided true and correct information

I will opt out and another expert can verify that my information is correct

Good luck

Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 4 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there --

-

I am another attorney here at Just Answer and I can understand how outraged you are by how this was handled at your husband's employer. My colleague is correct regarding the fact that the employers have the right to contact each other to verify insurance coverages on spouses and dependents with the new changes to health insurance which started in 2012 and go into full swing at the beginning of 2014. Otherwise known as "Obamacare". However, this was handled extremely poorly by your husband's employer's HR department -- there is no reason why someone there could not have explained to him why the information was needed and given him an opportunity to provide it. My suggestion is that your husband should determine who at his employer made the telephone call and lodge a complaint with that person's supervisor -- or you do it. The HR employee should be reprimanded and reminded to speak with the employee before jumping the gun and making telephone calls to any line that she thinks that she wants to dial.

-

I truly wish I could tell you that this is an invasion of privacy issue -- but it is not. Perhaps before the health insurance laws for employers changed you may have had at least a cause to speak to a local attorney and explore this further. But in this case, one employer contacting another these days for health insurance information is the way it will be for the future -- and because this is all so new, his employer would simply say that they made an "unfortunate mistake" in calling the CEO's office, but it will not provide a basis for any legal action.

-

MARY

Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer