How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received a summons, I was involved in a motor vehicle

This answer was rated:

I just received a summons, I was involved in a motor vehicle accident and my insurance awarded the plaintiff $30.000 and then dropped me. The plaintiff is now suing. What do i do? I need to answer the summons, i am not sure where to begin. I am worried. I am not the negligent person the summons claims me to be and actually did not see her. Most of all i am worried that the financial reprecussion this could have on my children. I am a single mother and this could directly effect their life. Help
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you this evening.

If I may ask where are you located in? How much are you being sued for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am in Tennessee. The summons does not say any dollar amount.

Thank you for your follow-up, Lisa.

What specifically did you receive as a summons? Just a hearing, or did you also receive a copy of the complaint?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not receive a date for summons. Just a copy of complaint.

Thank you for your follow-up, Lisa.

Not a problem, what you would then need to do is file a formal 'answer' to this complaint. You can either file a 'general' denial, where you deny each and every statement made against you, or you can file an answer where you affirm some information, deny others, and modify other facts based on what took place. My concern here is exactly what they may be suing you for if the policy already paid out. I suspect they are claiming additional damages or losses that were not covered. The fact the policy paid out likely tells me that your insurer found you to be at fault, which likewise does not help this case. It may be wise to contact your local courthouse, speak to the law librarian (the county courthouses tend to have libraries attached to the building) and obtain a template under which you can file your answer. but you would definitely need to find out what exactly they are suing you for, since that would change how you fill out the forms and what basis they are using for injury. Here is a sample template for an answer that you can use if there is no library nearby:

The other concern I have is the amount you are being sued for. This is something you would need to contact the opposing party directly and find out what is their suit valued at. It might be a situation where if you have no savings, you might need to entertain the option of bankruptcy. In that option the damages that they may get awarded would get discharged and you would not have to pay them out.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you