How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28319
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the process to get a legal separation in Texas?

This answer was rated:

What is the process to get a legal separation in Texas?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. Texas does not have any legal form of separation. As such, the parties would need to divorce, if they want to terminate their relationship. Of course, the parties can informally separate and go their own ways, trying to reach some type of agreement, in the process. I am sure there are martial debts and assets which you and your spouse can agree to split and share at this time and any other agreements should be reduced to writing and signed by both parties.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, since there is no legal separation process, is there anything other than a divorce that can protect myself from any financial liability connected to my husband? He just admitted himself once again to rehab for pain medicine and alcohol abuse associated with a workman's compensation injury. I am executrix to my parent's estate and I don't want to risk those assets.


Under the Texas Family Code, a person is personally liable for the acts of the person's spouse only if: (1) the spouse acts as an agent for the person; or (2) the spouse incurs a debt for necessaries. A spouse does not act as an agent for the other spouse solely because of the marriage relationship. This means you can only get stuck being responsible on a debt that your soon-to-be-ex acquired if you gave him/her the authority to take on that debt on your behalf, or if the debt is for a "necessary."