How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A debt collector won against me a judgement in Small Claims

This answer was rated:

A debt collector won against me a judgement in Small Claims Court in CT.
I've never received anything in mail from the court so I never knew anything about it.
Only now I received a letter from the debt collector informing me that a lien was put on my house based upon the final judgment.
Is there a way to overturn this? What are the steps?
Thank you,
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.


How long ago was this judgment obtained? Do you know which courthouse issued the judgment? Have you reached out to the courthouse or the judgment holder as yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Connecticut Superior Court- Small Claims on December 13 2012-Judgement Lien against me.

I did not contact anybody

Thank you for your follow-up, Michael.

Contacting parties is where you should consider starting, specifically the courthouse. I would suggest you call the courthouse as soon as you can (potentially right after our conversation ends), speak to the clerk on duty, and request forms to file for a special hearing to 'set aside' this judgment on basis of 'lack of notice'. Under state law if someone sues you, you must be notified in writing or formally served so that you can have an ability to defend the claim in court, or show that the suit has no basis. Failure to do so, if you can prove it, negates the suit, since you have to have your day in court. This would permit you to set aside the judgment and compel the party to remove the lien until and if the courts can have a re-hearing of the default judgment, and where you can either prevail against the other party, or have the current order reinstated. The other party has to prove they attempted to serve you, and if they cannot, it is tough for them to claim or justify that this order is valid.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just called the Small Claims Court ...They do not have any forms for this but they told me to write to the Court to explain.


Then it appears that you would be on the way to hopefully get this judgment set aside. If there is anything else I can answer for you, please let me know. Otherwise, as it appears my information is accurate and useful, I ask that you positively rate my answers to you so I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you!

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you