ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Embezzled close to 37k from former employer. Was cooperative

Embezzled close to 37k from former employer. Was cooperative and systed to them how I carried out the actions by having broker transfer funds into my personal account over 8 monrh period.
Was released from job December 2012 and just received call feom local police
Stating I a suspect and want me to come in to provide a statement. Said I wouldn't be arrested but need my statement and since I have no criminal record it would most likely be a diversionary program.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. When, specifically did you embezzle these funds?

Customer:

From Spring or Summer of 2012 until November 2012.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you. And did you have a specific question relating to this issue?

Customer:

I'm sorry. Need advice if I should retain an attorney or report to police department and provide a statement.?

ScottyMacEsq :

Embezzlment (Theft) is a Class C felony if the value of the property or services obtained is ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or more but less than sixty thousand dollars ($60,000)People convicted of class C felonies can be sentenced to prison terms of three to 15 years, as well as fines of up to $10,000. (Tenn. Ann. Code § 40-35-111.) The police have absolute zero discretion on what you're charged with (that's up to the DA to determine) and they'll tell you anything to get you to confess to the crime (it makes their job way easier). With a confession, you'll have almost zero room to negotiate with prosecutors.

ScottyMacEsq :

I would absolutely get an attorney if possible.

ScottyMacEsq :

The police are building a case against you.

ScottyMacEsq :

You don't have to help them with the labor.

Customer:

Thank you

ScottyMacEsq :

You have the RIGHT to remain silent. The moment you start talking, giving justifications, etc... you waive that right, and a judge can actually compel you to talk at that point.

ScottyMacEsq :

I admire the police for what they do, but they're your adversaries at this point, so don't trust anything they say until you have it in writing from the DA.

ScottyMacEsq :

Until then, you can maintain your 5th amendment right to remain silent.

ScottyMacEsq :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

ScottyMacEsq :

Are you still there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating...

ScottyMacEsq :

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

ScottyMacEsq :

Hello? Please note that this question is still open until you rate it.

ScottyMacEsq :

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq :

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!