How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28035
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted as an adult when I was 17 years old of a sex

Customer Question

I was convicted as an adult when I was 17 years old of a sex crime of my 15 year old girlfriend, I am now 31. I am currently engaged to be married to a woman who has an 8 y.o. son the father has demanded full custody of the child based upon these grounds do I have type of defenseagainst a 14 year old charge?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What exactly was the charge from 17 years ago? Am I correct to assume it was based upon the age difference and nothing violent or forceful in any way? It was a situation where she consented but was underage?

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had a chance to respond to my information request above. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it was was nothing violent to be honest is was only 17 and we were consensual

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. The Judge is going to make a decision which will be based upon the best interest of the child. The Judge is certainly going to want to know the facts of the case, surrounding what you were charged with and your fiance will likely want you to appear in court and testify, as to what happened and the history of the case, to show there is nothing for the Judge to be concerned about, in regard to the well being of the child. This was not a situation where there was evidence of molestation or something which you thought was wrong, even though illegal. You were both minors at the time and it was her age which resulted in the problem. I can see what the father is trying to do but you and your fiance will need to convince the Judge that what happened 17 years ago does not reflect the person who you are today and there is no reason for him/her to have concern for the child and their well being.