How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117385
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I divorced in Georgia 3 years ago. In the divorce decree my

This answer was rated:

I divorced in Georgia 3 years ago. In the divorce decree my ex-husband was to payoff my vehicle and carry both my health and auto insurance for two years. He stopped all 3 and I had to take him to court. The court may him get current. He stopped paying again and filed chapter 7. I had to pay off the vehicle, (22k) vehicle only, as the bank had issued repossession. It was in his name and he signed the vehicle over when the title came to him. We owned a piece of property that is in an LLC that we both owned and the divorce decree stated that I was to sign over the property after he refinanced the home. The bankruptcy court allowed him to keep the property. He has hired an attorney to draft a Quit claim for me to sign and the attorney is threatening to take me to court to force me to sign. I had an attorney run title to see if he has added me to the loan. I am not on the loan. His attorney said that I have to abide by the court order and came across as a BULLY! Don't I have a right to collect what I was awarded in the divorce. He did not list me as one of the creditors who got discharged. I had a friend pull the bankruptcy papers to see who was listed. Can't I lien the property and recover my losses? Help!
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You do have a right to seek to collect what the court awarded you in the divorce and what you need to do to collect is file another motion for an order to show cause for contempt in the court where you received the award, since the award from the other court did not vacate the other order of the court. However, to enforce that order of the court, you have to go back to the divorce court for a contempt of court motion to get that court to order him to pay you what he owes. So while his attorney can insist that you comply with the other court order, you can get a court order for contempt against him for not paying the divorce court order and that is a separate matter.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you! I assume I need to hire an attorney to help. Are you in Ga? LOL Thank you again for taking the time to respond!!


Thank you for your response.

It is best to use an attorney in these matters if at all possible, it does increase your chance of success. I am afraid that we are forbidden on this site from taking cases from customers or making personal referrals to local counsel, so to get a local family law attorney to review the court orders and file the contempt motion you can use the same sites used by other attorneys, or or
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you