P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

housing assistance programs for disabled vets that are legally

housing assistance programs for disabled vets that are legally separated......my husband and I are legally separated due to issues stemming from his below the knee amputation while serving in Iraq. He gives 3/4 of his v.a. disability to me and our kids. Are there any programs to help him get into a place of his own? It is no longer an option to have him live with us. Thanks for the help!

Mary
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am a veterans services officer...I file claims on behalf of vets to the VA every day.

The VA has plenty of programs for homeless vets...and they also have a housing program called VASH (Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing ) housing...can you tell me, has he applied for VASH?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in my response! No I don't think he has applied for it, can he do this online? What other programs are available?

We have been trying to deal with the local VA and talk with a social worker, they were supposed to give us a call 2 days ago, and haven't returned our calls. It's very frustrating.

Thanks for all your help! Please let me know your thoughts.

Mary

Let me start by telling you that the VA benefits for homeless vets are significant...that is, the VA has made assistance for homeless vets a priority.

But the problem I suspect you will face is that the benefits are "needs based"

There is an income eligibility test, and they consider income from all sources.

The only thing they offset for is medical expenses.

They will not credit him for having to maintain two separate households.

So, for example, if he is 100% disabled, with dependents, he would be receiving over $3K/month from the VA. In such a case, unless he has significant medical expenses (like, for example, is in a nursing home) it is not likely he will qualify for assistance.

But if he is rated at 30%, his draw from the VA would be less than $500...so it is likely he could qualify for VASH housing.

VASH housing (Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing) is a great program if he qualifies. This program is a partnership with the Departments of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to get homeless vets off the streets. Again, it is needs based....and there are limited slots available. But if he qualifies? It would mean free or reduced cost housing.

I would apply through your local Veterans Services Officer (VSO)...they can let you know if he will qualify based on his income