How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Indiana law I have lived with my wife for the last 9 years

This answer was rated:

Indiana law I have lived with my wife for the last 9 years married only 5 however I have paid half of the mortage for 9 years all of the furniture is mine all of the tvs washer and dryer vacations, all dinners new air conditioner and gave her son a 5000 car do I have a case?

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Anything that was brought into the marriage by each of you from the 4 years of living together is going to be considered marital assets and/or debts and so when dealing with the distribution of the same it will be done according to the Marital Distribution laws

Those laws are that assets are divided equitably - and while this does not always mean equal it is a situation where each of you will present your case as to what you feel you brought into the marriage as separate property and work from there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do I have a case or do I just loose everything I do not want the house I would like to be paid back what I have put into it


Yes you have a case - but it will not be an easy battle. If you put money into the home to help maintain it, yes, you are entitled to a portion of it back.
And as I stated it will all be considered in the grand scheme of things
Sam and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She can have the house I have paid her 800 per month for 9 years


Well, that is to be considered in the division of the property.

I suggest you try to come to a settlement with her on these things and if not then try mediation