How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118118
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold a vehicle that wasnt in my name and I did it in all

This answer was rated:

I sold a vehicle that wasn't in my name and I did it in all the wrong ways and I need help on what to do. The car was impounded in Ohio when said buyer got busted with hard drugs in the vehicle.I'm a ky resident. The vehicle registered in ky and was legitimately given to me by my son's mother when she left the country. First question is would it be plausible to get the vehicle put in my name and get it back or should I ride this out and see what happens or do you have a better suggestion?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

As this case can have criminal implications, please do not make any further statements to any law enforcement officers without an attorney, as you have a right to counsel and you need them to make sure you do not say the wrong things here.

First, regardless of whether or not you ever changed over the registration, if you have a signed title from the owner, then you ARE legally the owner and you can change over the ownership by submitting the signed copy of the title with a bill of sale or affidavit of donation/gift from the owner and you can get the title switched to your name.

Second, even if you do not apply for the new title in your name, if you have that signed title from the owner and proof she gave you the vehicle, you can give that to the new owner (person you sold it to) and they can use that to get the new title in their name. Thus, you did not do anything actually illegal. You do need to help the new owner get title in their name and you should do so by going to BMV and bring the signed title and proof she gave you the car and go with the new owner and his bill of sale and BMV will change everything over for you to the proper title.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The new owner is currently incarcerated and will not be getting out any time soon. I do have the money to refund to them what they paid and plan to do so. I just want the vehicle back so I may sell it later to another person who can completely buy the vehicle with no futher problems.
At this point if you did sell them a vehicle you had legal title to, you cannot just rescind the sale. The buyer has to agree to rescinding the sale. If they do not, then you need to take the title you have and sign the title over to him or you have to take the title and get a title in your name and THEN sign it over to him. Either way you have to sign the title over to him or get him to agree to rescind the sale in writing and give him the money back.
Law Educator, Esq. and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you