How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118237
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering about obtaining a hardship license as a HTV.

This answer was rated:

I was wondering about obtaining a hardship license as a HTV. I need a license to get to and from work and to and from picking up my children. With my driving record I am not sure if this is even possible but I live in the rural area where it has been very hard for me to even obtain the basic necessities of life without relying on family and friends who have driven all over for me. Any information would help. Thanks.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am presuming you have a 10 year HTV suspension/revocation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thank you for your response.

I am sorry to hear that. I am afraid that hardship licenses in Indiana are difficult to say the least. First, under Indiana Code 9-30-10-9(c), you cannot apply to the court for a probationary license until you have completed at least 5 years of your license suspension. Second, if you have had any violations then you have to have 3 consecutive years without any driving while suspended violations to apply pursuant to Indiana Code 9-30-10-9(e). If you can prove the extreme hardship once the 5 years pass without any violations and complying with all requirements you can ask the court to grant a probationary license through BMV under Indiana Code 9-30-10-9(d).

I am afraid this is the only way to get the probationary/hardship license under the Indiana laws.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was afraid of that. Well then two more years to go. Hopefully I can at least get it then.


Thank you for your response.

The Indiana laws are just very harsh on habitual traffic offenders I am afraid, but I am sure if you have no violations in two more years your chances would be at least good to get the probationary licenses.

Thank you very much. I am sorry the Indiana laws are so disfavorable to you as that is not my fault and I do hate to be the bearer of bad news.