How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118086
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear XXXXX. My Fiance is a medical doctor and is on a fellowship

This answer was rated:

My Fiance is a medical doctor and is on a fellowship program in U.S, He has a H-Viza and really don't dare to leave the U.S for us to be able to get married.
We wonder if it is possible for me (an EU-citizen) to travel to the U.S on a visitory Viza to get married and then come back home to EU? Are we going to get in any trouble in the future if I apply for a H4 viza?
We would be grateful for an answer as we are very confused and don't know how to move on with our lives.
Thank you for your question and for asking for me.

Yes, you can travel from the EU to the US as a visitor to get married. This will not cause you any issues in applying for a H4 later. Additionally, you can apply for a fiancee visa ahead of time and get the fiancee visa issued or you can apply for a marriage visa once you are married. Furthermore, for marriage he can get permission from Immigration to travel under his H-1 visa to go back home to get married.

Thus, there are options for you to get married and eventually obtain your visa to come to the US to be with your husband.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear XXXXX, Does it matter when after my arrival to the U.S we gett married? I am working here in Sweden and can not be off work for that long.

My Fiance is an Iranian citizen and he is very worried to leave the states and not being able to return to his work (as this has happen before to some iranian citizens on Student and working vizas)


No, it does not matter when you arrive in relation to when you get married. Your marriage would remain valid and recognized in the US and then you can begin the spousal H visa process which can take 6-12 months to obtain.

As far as him leaving under the H-1 visa, like I said, he has to contact US Immigration to arrange for leaving prior to him doing so and get a readmission permit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your answers Paul.

We really don't want to get into any trouble.

Best regards

Thank you for your response. You will not get in trouble if you come in to get married on a tourist visa and then leave and he applies for the spousal visa. Similarly, he would not have trouble if he applies to Immigration for permission to leave the US and re-enter before he leaves.

Please do not forget to click excellent service feedback, as that is the sole way experts get any credit for the time spent with customers.
Law Educator, Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you