How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117371
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

* entered into a clearly defined verbal contract with me on

This answer was rated:

* entered into a clearly defined verbal contract with me on 11/02/2012 during a 120 minute phone call. On 11/06/2012 prior to purchasing airline tickets on his behalf, which was part of the agreement, the terms of the contract were reviewed again to assure that they were clearly understood by both * and Myself. This was a 25 minute conversation. * once again agreed to the terms. Since the terms of the agreement were agreed upon on 11/02/2012 * fully violated the terms of the agreement on January 31st, 2013. In addition to this *was loaned items that he has refused to return, Stolen Property from my home, and engaged in making false allegations and spreading malicious rumors about me to multiple people which have caused damage to my reputation. * also removed property from my home without my permission. After January 31st * made intermittent contact indicating that he was willing to complete the terms of our agreement. Upon realizing that * was clearly not going to honor the terms of the agreement I have made multiple attempts to negotiate a settlement to this dispute with no success. I have made numerous requests both verbal and in writing that I expected him to return the initial investment made on his behalf by me.* has to date refused to engage in a meaningful conversation on the topic in spite of me giving him multiple opportunities and options to settle this debt in a satisfactory manner.
The items purchased for * under the terms of the contract included Airfare, clothing, eyeglasses and other items that* had indicated he was in emergent need of in order to obtain gainful employment with stable housing to gain stability in his life. I have since been informed by people close to * that he had intended to take advantage of me and had no intention of meeting the terms of the agreement.
* was loaned some items for a temporary trip that he insisted was necessary, two of which he was told he could keep. Upon not returning from the trip he has refused to return or make arrangements to return my property other than stating he would, but never following through. Over the past 4 months I have made 4 requests for my belongings (except those gifted) to be returned to me. I have supplied my address to him on 4 different occasions. One occasion I sent him a letter which he communicated to me in a brief test message that he was refusing to open. The final attempt was over a month ago when I sent him a box to place my things in and I would have it picked up at his home requiring no effort on his part. * refused to return my phone calls to get the information regarding the details of the pickup information. * also reported that he had lost some of these items included property he had stolen from my home.
* was engaging in making false and derogatory comments about me resulting in damage to my professional and personal reputation. * admitted on one occasion that he had engaged in doing this prior to him violating the terms of the agreement. As a result of the comments and rumors initiated by * I received phone calls and text messages, while at work and at home that were threatening and accusatory. I work as a Registered Nurse in a busy Emergency Room and these messages became a significant and unnecessary distraction during my work day. I have since learned that * has made similar allegations against other people prior to my involvement with him and since.

I am seeking a total of 3500.00. The itemized list of goods purchased on behalf of * that would fall under the terms of our agreement amount to a total of 1207.76. The items loaned to Mr. Connolly are currently listed at a value of 446.00 on which is a decreased worth from what I paid for the items new. I seek 1846.24 in punitive damages for total of 3500.00. One item stolen from my home only has a value of approximately 20 dollars but was of sentimental value to me and will be difficult to replace. I also seek the punitive damages for the violation of my trust by stealing from my home, violating the terms of the agreement, and refusing to return my belongings as well as for false derogatory comments made about me to multiple people resulting in my being harassed both at work and at home based directly on information that originated with *
In addition to multiple requests that Mr. Connolly reimburse me for not meeting the terms of the contract I attempted to make other arrangements to resolve this that would have been mutually beneficial and made concessions clearly in his favor in trying to reach some type of mutually acceptable settlement. * has forced me to seek remedy through the legal system since he is unwilling to take any responsibility or communicate with me. He lives in PA currently and was there when he entered the agreement. I remain in CA where I loaned him the items and where he stole from me. Do I sue in CA, PA, I also want to know if I can notify neiighbors of what he did to me.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Your complaint is clear and concise and sufficient for the claim you are making if you performed your part of the verbal conduct in reliance on him agreeing to repay you.

Unfortunately, the law regarding personal jurisdiction requires that in order for the courts to have jurisdiction over him to issue a judgment the court has to be in the state and place where he is located. Thus, you have to file suit against him in PA where he is located to obtain personal jurisdiction.

Also, notifying neighbors only gets you embattled in accusations of slander/defamation and even though the truth is the ultimate defense to any claim of slander/defamation, it is unnecessary for you to go through that if you are pursuing a case in court to recover your property/cost and money.

As part of your suit you can also ask the court as part of your judgment to enter a restraining order/injunction to prevent him from continuing to make any further disparaging comments about you.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I might not have been clear on two points. Under the terms we agreed to I was not seeking to be repaid if he had fulfilled his part of the bargain. Since he did not fulfill his part of the bargain I feel that he should have to return the initial investment I made on his behalf. I spent a great more than what I'm asking but I am only asking for the tangible items such as airline tickets, clothing, etc. Also if I decided (probably not smartly) to notify the neighbors they are living next to a sociopath and sent flyers, and he wanted to come after me would he have to do so in California where i live and sent the flyers from or in PA, where they were delivered. could he pursue any criminal charges against me for notifying neighbors of his behavior. Thank you. This guy really screwed me over. This is just the tip of the iceberg as it was told to me by multiple people that he intentionally set out to take advantage of me.. I found that he has a history of doing this which is why I thought of sending pamphlets. Nobody every holds him accountable because it's to much trouble.

Thank you for your clarification.

If you had a contract where one party performed, you, in reliance on him performing, and he failed to perform, you are entitled to sue for the damages you suffered. You do bear the burden of proving the terms of your agreement.

I understand about the sending out fliers, if you are suing in PA against him, he could add that to the suit as a counterclaim against you. If you are going to send out any fliers, do not do so until after you win a judgment against him.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX other question. Good advice about the flyers but once this part is over and If I decide to send the flyers, would he have to sue me in California where I live and sent them from, or from PA where the flyers were sent to and where he lives. That would be my final question. He has no ability to come to California unless I bought him another ticket which isn't going to happen. Thanks.

Thank you for your response.

In order to acquire personal jurisdiction over you for the fliers if you put them out after the case is over, he has to come to CA to sue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much, I've never in my 50 years of life ever been pushed to the point to have to take such action but I set out to help this guy out with the best of intentions and he just screwed me over on every level. I appreciate your time.

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, some people are users and do not care about anyone and it seems this person is one of those.

Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback as that is the only way experts receive any credit for the time spent with customers.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions