How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7345
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a defendant in a California small claims case. The plaintiff

Customer Question

I am a defendant in a California small claims case. The plaintiff was 15 minutes late, missed the admin of the oath, and the clerk left the court room when our case was called, therefore she wasn't sworn in, and lied throughout her testimony. Is it possible to file Request to Correct or Cancel Judgment and Answer (Small Claims) I'm appealing, but I want to know if I can ask for a new hearing based on the error.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Yes, you can file a motion with the Court to vacate the judgment and re-hear the case based on the technical error that you raised. It is up to the Court to decide whether to do so or not, since by appealing the case you will get a new trial anyway. If you have taken the steps to appeal, then a new hearing in Small Claims court might be considered unnecessary. Plus, based on what you say about the Plaintiff lying, you might be better off trying the case in the appeal court than in Small Claims Court.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.