How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16623
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 year old son moved out of the house. He is still covered

This answer was rated:

My 18 year old son moved out of the house. He is still covered on my insurance as he is a Senior in high school. He had an auto accident (his fault) was transported to the hospital by helicopter, kept overnight and released. Since the insurance is in my name will I be responsible for his medical bills and air transport bill? We live in Indiana. The air transport bill alone is $30,339. He works at Wendy's 20 hours or less per week, plus receives social security from the death of his mother in the amount of $503 monthly which will end May,2014 when he graduates from high school. Would he be better off filing bankruptcy? Can we require the hospital and air transport to send the bills in his name instead of mine since the insurance is in my name.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your son's recent accident.

Are you referring to your the auto insurance policy?

Does your son have any type of health insurance benefits?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am referring to my health insurance policy. He had his own auto insurance but it was only liability.


Thank you for your follow up.

Why do you think that since your son is on your health insurance, that your insurance company would not cover his medical bills?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They do not cover the air transport or has not paid for the air transport in the past for others I know and will only cover 80% of his hospital bill. He did not consent to the air transport, but it is used a lot in the county we live in.


Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, as long as, the air transport was used to transport your son to the hospital, it would not make any legal difference if he consented to it, he would be responsible.

Generally, it is a good idea to wait and see what your son's car insurance and also your medical health insurance company will cover and then your son will know what is owed and could make a decision whether to negotiate some type of reduced settlement or to file bankruptcy to get rid of any remaining balance for this medical bills.

It really would not matter whether the air transport company sends the bills in your son's name or in yours, since your son is 18 and is considered an adult and unless you consented in writing to be responsible for any of his medical bill related to this incident, you would not be legally liable for your adult son's medical bills.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you