Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Would it be safe to put my paid house in my sons name?

Would it be safe to...
Would it be safe to put my paid house in my son's name?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/21/2013
Richard, Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Can you tell me your goals? And, when you reference "safe"...what are your concerns? Thanks!

my son would like to own my house. Will let me live in there till my death. Will pay ins. and taxes.

Thanks for your reply. If you are going to give him the house, I would suggest you give it to him, but reserve a life estate. That will entitle you to live there for your life and upon your death the life estate will automatically terminate and the title, minus the life estate, will vest in your son. This will protect you from your son ever changing his mind and after getting title telling you that you can no longer stay there. I know it seems unlikely, but as a lawyer, I must tell you the risk. Furthermore, I see this happening more often than I would like and I can only wish the parents would have taken my recommendation and retained that life estate!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Attorney
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Richard, Attorney