How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27478
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 21 yrs old , he was arrested for access cards to

This answer was rated:

My son is 21 yrs old , he was arrested for access cards to defraud his bail is 780,000. Hes never been in trouble before. Whats he looking at
Hello Jacustomer,

This is a fraud offense in California, and as a general rule, a first offense on a non-violent charge could likely be disposed of in a plea bargain with a sentence of probation and restitution for the monies obtained.

That said, there are many subsections of the Debit and Credit Card Access Fraud statutes, some more serious than others. And bail in the amount of $780,000 is unusually high.

What is he actually accused of having done? Please use the reply tab below and I can refine my answer.
Zoey, JD and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he was pulled over and had these access cards on him worth 780,000 but he hadnt used them yet


Basically, in California this would be a wobbler, which is to say it could be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or a felony. As a misdemeanor, the maximum is a year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. As a felony, the maximum would be 3 years of state prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Bailing him out was a very good idea. He needs a lawyer, of course, as the consequences can be serious, but now that he's out and since it's a first arrest, felony probation is not at all an impossible outcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i couldnt bail him out, they wanted 58,000 and property which i dont have. his next court date is on 08/01/13. i dont know what to do


I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I thought that when you said you'd already tried bailing him out, you'd done so.

He will have a public defender assigned to him when he goes before the judge. He or she can make a new bail application. Additionally, as I have indicated, the maximum for the charge is 3 years of prison and first arrests would not be offered the maximum. Again, though probation is not a certainty with a first non-violent felony, it is common enough that his lawyer may be able to negotiate for a reduction of charges and a non-incarceratory sentence.