Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I owe my ex roommate $1050 for rent, I no longer live there

but signed a contract for...
I owe my ex roommate $1050 for rent, I no longer live there but signed a contract for the lease agreement that ends at the end of July. Can I send her the payment in Pennies? Will she have to accept the payment legally? Can US Postal Stamps be used as legal tender to pay my dues to her?
7/19/2013
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

Thank you for the question.

When you say you signed a contract for the lease agreement, do you mean that you actually signed the lease agreement listing you as a lessee and obligating you to pay rent to the landlord?

yes

Well, lets start out with some basics on y our question.

When you owe a debt, you may pay it in pennies, as a penny is a legitimate legal tender of the US. Postage stamps on the other hand are not legal tender.

However, when you sign a lease agreement, you are obligated to pay the rent pursuant to the terms of the agreement, and you are obligated to the landlord. You are not obligated to pay the rent to your room-mate, but to the landlord, and you are jointly and severally liable for that rent. So you need to simply make sure that the rent is paid.

If you are in a dispute with your ex-roommate, then you should contact the landlord and tell them that you want to send your rent directly to them in a separate payment.

If there was no landlord involved, and there was not a contractual term stating how the money should be paid, then you could pay it with pennies.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Relist: Incomplete answer.

Hi ZDNLaw , thank you for your help- I am trying to change my rating but don't know how

She already paid for my half of the rent- now I owe her that money. I just wanted to know that if i paid her back , could she legally refuse/decline the pennies .

I saw that you rated my service poorly. Other experts have agreed with my answer here.

I'm here just trying to help you. The law does not always provide you with the answer you may want to receive.

If you pay your room mate with pennies, your roomate can reject the payment, simply because you do not owe your roommate the money, you owe the landlord the money.

So, if you go through your scenario and you pay your room mate with pennies, your roommate has no legal obligation to accept the payment.

If you feel I did not answer your question completely, please let me know what you think I'm missing and I will be happy to assist you further.

Please also reconsider the rating you gave. I am bound by law to provide you the correct answer, and I cannot change the law to make it be what you want to hear. A bad rating hurts my position with the website and may lead to me being kicked off. So, if you would be so kind, change your rating to a positive one, or let me know what further information you need.

You should be able to rate this answer positively. If not, let me know by stating that you want to give me a positive rating in your response and I will let the website know.

Thanks

-ZDN
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX right :)

I changed your rating, thank you again for your help.

Thanks for changing your rating. I really do appreciate it.

I've always wanted to pay someone I'm not happy with in pennies too...
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

:)

TexLaw
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney