How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a criminal traffic ticket because I Had an accident

This answer was rated:

I received a criminal traffic ticket because I
Had an accident in Parking lot with another
Lady and I left after speaking to her, because
I was afraid of her and I did not exchange
Insurance info. What will most likely happen
When I go to court?


Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

How did you get the ticket? Did you turn yourself in or did the police come find you?

Was there any injury or just damage to her car

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No injuries the lady had my license plate number. So police came to my house right away. Ticket says leaving scene without exchanging info. Section number 316.061(1 ). I have never had accident and am very upset, just want to know what might happen when I go to court. Am I allowed to explain the lady was yelling at me and said get out of car we will settle it now! I was so afraid of her I just felt I had to leave, so I went home. What might the judge do to me?
Fines, penalties,etc. I have no crimmal record, and a clean driving record. In court do I explain or just say I am ashamed and sorry for my actions?



Thank you

Here is the section of the Fla code you were charged with and it states



316.061 Crashes involving damage to vehicle or property.-

(1) The driver of any vehicle involved in a crash resulting only in damage to a
vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of such crash or as close thereto as possible, and shall forthwith return to, and in every event shall remain at, the scene of the crash until he or she has fulfilled the requirements of s. 316.062. A person who violates this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, $5 shall be added to a fine imposed pursuant to this section, which $5 shall be deposited in the Emergency Medical Services Trust Fund.

So it is a misdemeanor in the 2nd degree and the possible penalty is not exceeding 60 days and a fine not exceeding $500


I suggest that any jail will be suspended - which means no jail. And the fine. Additionally, you will need to provide insurance information so the damaged vehicle can be repaired.


Sam and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In court am I allowed to explain my actions?





I suggest that you can plead Not Guilty with an explanation. Or you can plead Not Guilt and have a trial date set and consult with a local attorney on the matter.