Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Price Dispute

If you agree on...

If you agree on a price for a service and, after the service is complete, the price is tripled. What can you do?

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/19/2013
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

If you agree on a price for a service, then a contract has been created. After the service is provided, then you only owe what was agreed upon. If the other party demands more, then you can refuse. If the other party sues you, then your defense would be that a contract for a certain price was agreed upon prior to the service, and that the other party is not entitled to anything beyond what was agreed upon.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.

This person is a doctor. Actually an acupuncturist. Does that change your answer?

Also, she has already been paid.

Hi again.

No, my answer remains the same. The fact that she is a doctor doesn't mean anything. However, I will point out that sometimes doctors may agree to do one thing, and then must do something additionally even without consent for one reason or another. If that is what happened, then you likely would owe for the additional service. But it depends on what was done and the circumstances. An emergency may not allow for the doctor to obtain consent. That seems unlikely with an acupuncturist, however.

I hope you don't mind me asking you for more info.

A few months worth of care were charged at $80, as agreed. Then we changed location after an accident, but the care was basically the same. Since the charges went to an insurance company instead of me, the price went to $240. She told me she would charge my insurance, but not one word about the price increase.

Could this be filed in small claims court?

If I decide to pursue this, what kind of a lawyer would handle it?

Just so I understand, are you saying that your insurance company paid the increase to $240, and that you personally paid nothing extra?

If so, then you may not have a case because you may not have damages.

In any event, if you were to sue, then you can indeed do so in small claims court so long as the total amount that you seek is no more than $10,000. Any general practitioner could handle this type of lawsuit. It is not a special area of law like bankruptcy or real estate. Almost any attorney could handle the lawsuit for you.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney