How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102600
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Today, our 47 yr. old son met with his x-wife at the Attorney

This answer was rated:

Today, our 47 yr. old son met with his x-wife at the Attorney General's office there in Austin regarding
his payments (supposed to be medical only as stated in his divorce decree)... but now, she's trying for child support, which goes against what his divorce decree says . . . and could not believe the amount of money she was wanting ....

There will now be a court case in Sept or Oct regarding this . . . he lives in Panola County, Carthage, TX (E. Texas) and she and children (two sons, one 17 and the other is 11) live in Travis County with step-father . . . so this is going to be hard.

His income is only around $25,000 per year max, and he has 2 jobs now. He is bipolar, and on the sex offender list now for 5 years. He has a job here in Carthage with Mission Carthage as Handyman and has worked for them ever since he completed all his hours of community service in 2009 . . . Jeff's crime was that he exposed himself in May 2007, and arrested in Williamson County. This was his first offense, and he was given 10 years probation, 20 yrs on sex offender list, 400 hours of community service, and $10,000 fine ... he's paying out. He's done SUPER with the Condition X probation, and has 2 probation officers..... He had no way of remaining in Travis or Williamson County (no support because no family there) . . . so as soon as he got out of jail in Jan 2009, we moved him to Carthage.

There have been several times that CPS was called into the home the boys are living in with the mother due to problems with the step-father . . . we were told that at that time, it would have been a good thing to try and take her back to court at that time, but Jeff didn't want to rock the boat for the boys anymore than it was.... and he was not having problems with the X over money at those times and things appeared to have been worked out.

Need an attorney to help him with this ................. someone who is very good, fair, and won't eat our lunch!

Jeff failed to hire an attorney at the time of his divorce because he was going through this criminal case and trusted his wife to handle the divorce . . . well, you can imagine what happened . . .

Can you help us find a good attorney???? in Travis County???? Should he contact Legal Aide? What should he do . . . he does not have internet because of his charges . . . but we (his parents) do. We also may need the same attorney to take a look at grandparents rights for us also. I had once contacted Wade Wilson, but he is no longer taking Travis County cases.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your son's situation. Please note:

1) JustAnswer experts cannot represent customers as clients;

2) Nor can we refer you to specific attorneys because of ethical considerations.

3) However, I can (1) explain what your options are and (2) help you find an attorney using a third-party referral service, and tell you how to "vet" them to make sure that they are right for him.

4) I can also possibly provide some links to low cost / pro bono counsel in the state.

Will this be agreeable?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Agree . . .

Thank you.

May I recommend the Texas Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

Do speak with a few attorneys and ask:

1) Have you had such cases before?
2) What happened in such cases?
3) What do you believe is his best argument?
4) His weakest argument?
5) What is the next course of action?
6) What documentation do you need?
7) How fast can you move on this case?
8) Can I have the fee agreement in writing? (If they say no, run - I would not trust anyone who would not give you a written fee agreement.)

Obviously, he would have to call, or at least be on the line.

If finances are an issue, I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...

…and another list:

Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you