Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My husband leased new car 7 mo ago with no-cosigners. 3 mo

My husband leased new car 7 mo ago with no-cosigners. 3 mo ago he died. No will. I was his beneficiary for his pension. We had primary residency house with deed and title on both our names and joint bank account with amount almost equal to what I currently owe on credit cards. No other properties.
I am on a disability, cannot afford this car and would like to terminate the lease. Can I return vehicle to a dealership without paying penalties?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
First let me express my condolences on the loss of your husband. I know you are going through a lot so I will try to help.
.
If husband was the only one who signed for the lease, then only he, or his estate, can be held liable for paying the lease contract. If there are no assets in his estate because you owned everything jointly, then there would not be anything that the creditor could collect against. NJ is not a community property state so you couldn't be held liable for debts that he entered into on his own.
.
With that said, you can simply drop off the vehicle and tell the dealer that there is no estate because it is insolvent. The dealer will then have to sell the car and eat the loss.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.

.