How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently served a Summons stating I am being sued for

This answer was rated:

I was recently served a Summons stating I am being sued for "breach of verbal contract." I'm looking for some advice on how to prepare my response. Is there a way to email documents for someone to look at prior to getting advice?

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Note, I am in CA. Accordingly, if you have been served with a summons, you have 30 days to file an ANSWER which is a pre printed court form and contains a series of boxes that you check or leave blank based on the action that is filed. Thereafter, the plaintiff will commence discovery (take your deposition or send you interrogatories/questions to answer. And eventually you will get a notice from the court that it has set a status conference. Needless to say, it is impossible to give you a complete overview of the process as it can take many directions. I do therefore suggest that you consult in person with an attorney. There are also books by NOLO PRESS that can further guide you. But at the end of the day, it will be your word against there word. But if you have any witnessses that you side with you, than they willl need to testify. I wish you well.

dylatess and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you