How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hired a local Roofing company to fixed a leak on my roof.

This answer was rated:

Hired a local Roofing company to fixed a leak on my roof. They quota a price and guaraneed their work. Been to our home over 4 times and Now still have a leak however, to promlem is Bigger. Ceiling damage, walls and carpet damage and the roof is leaking MORE.
Question, what is the maxium can I sue this company and how do I go to do this? Plus I talked with city and know that the roofing company did not put a permit. Also, we turn them in to the BBB since the company was rated A+..
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for using JA. I'll be glad to assist you.

One question - - did the roofer provide you with a warranty?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No warranty just was told by the company. Also, they did not have premit from the city to do the work.

Ok. Thanks for the information. USUALLY, any construction work comes with a year warranty, so it's surprising that none was provided. However, if there is no warranty, your options are a little more limited.

First, you can file a complaint against the contractor with the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation for the faulty work and for failing to obtain a permit. Here's a link to the process:

Also, you or your attorney can send a demand letter to the contractor demanding that the damages be repaired. If the contractor fails or refuses, you can have another contractor perform the work and then sue the original contractor for the cost you incurred over and above the cost of the original work. As long as you can prove that the contractor didn't properly do its job, and caused you additional damages, you would have grounds to sue. You can prove the sub-standard work through the testimony and work done by your new contractor.

Usually, when a complaint is filed with the licensing board, the contractor will try to make things right. However, if that doesn't happen, you do have rights to sue and recover for the damages you sustained.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need something else, please don't hesitate to ask. THANKS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You for your help. We are looking for attorney to do just like you say. write a demand letter and letting you know we already have another contractor in mind to work on this problem also, it going to cost ALOT more than the frist time because of the added damage. Thank You again.

Yes, it is always more costly to fix faulty repairs - - because all of the sub-standard work has to be removed and re-done, then you must also repair the new damage caused by the faulty repair. Thus, you are certainly right with your assessment.

Hopefully, the complaint to the state licensing board and the demand letter to the contractor will get a response, but if not, you certainly can proceed.

I wish you luck with this, and if you need anything further from me, I'll e glad to help.
Roger and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you